Thermometers are must-have at home, but now during the times of COVID-19, it has become much important than ever. People went frenzy for purchasing non-contact thermometer rather than contact thermometer to monitor themselves and their household’s possible symptoms. At places like banks, offices, workplaces, malls, stores, non-contact thermometers have become trendy, and the reason is to ensure the safety of people around.It can sometimes be challenging to take the temperature of younger children and kids as they don’t cooperate easily, so this is when a non-contact thermometer comes to your rescue.But before you go for the purchase, here’s a guide for you to determine which is best for you.
Features to consider
You need to choose the best non-contact thermometer if you want accurate readings and provide the possible care for your loved ones. For this, you must consider the following features:
- Accuracy: Accuracy is the most crucial factor to consider because inaccurate readings might lead to misdiagnosis, further complicating the health condition.
- Speed: It is best to have a thermometer that provides quick temperature readings, especially if you have to take an elderly or a kid’s temperature.
- Function: Some thermometers even come in with memory function. This feature lets the thermometer store in the previous readings for future reference.
- Sound: Most non-contact thermometers in India make a sound. It indicates when the thermometer is ready to take or show the temperature.
- Fever alert indication: Few high-end non-contact thermometers come with a fever alert option that lets you know quickly if the temperature is above regular readings.
- Battery life: Longer battery life is a must in any non-contact thermometer. Some thermometers rely on cell batteries, while others may use AAA or AA batteries.
- Safety: Non-contact thermometers are safer to use than the mercury-based ones. The reason is that they have soft edges that don’t cause any harm to the babies. The plus point in these thermometers is that they don’t contain any harmful materials, and their batteries are always encased.
- Easy use: Thermometers must always be easy and convenient to use. Even if it is used multiple times, they must always provide the exact temperature readings.
- Cleaning: Easy to clean thermometer are always preferable. It cannot be cleaned immediately if it comes in contact with the human body.
- Budget-friendly: Try not to go for the highly costly one. It is better always to compare them with others. You must only then go for the purchase.
How to use a non-contact thermometer?
Compared to the normal thermometers, non-contact thermometers help to scan the accurate body temperature. It works with infrared technology, i.e., scanning the temporal artery’s temperature present on the forehead mainly. It is directly connected to the heart. The procedure to use a non-contact thermometer is similar to how we use a barcode scanner. If you want to check the body temperature, the thermometer must be held a few centimeters away from the forehead of the person and slowly move it across the forehead; seconds later, you’ll see the body temperature reading within few seconds.The non-contact thermometers are accurate the same way as oral and rectal thermometers are. When we compare contact and non-contact thermometers, it is clear that contactless is less invasive, which is why they are perfect for children and adults.
Benefits of non-contact thermometers
Here are some of the benefits that non-contact thermometers come in with:
- Quick and easy use: The whole process of taking temperature readings with a non-contact thermometer is more comfortable and quicker as you think it could be.
- Non-invasive: This is one of the major advantages of a non-contact thermometer. It is best, especially for mothers. With no contact at all, you can easily record the temperature without disturbing the baby.
- Great for Dark environments: Most non-contact thermometers come with an illuminated LED display feature. This is perfect for taking readings in darkened rooms or at nights.
- Hygienic: Rectal and ear thermometers come with probe covers to maintain hygiene. Non-contact thermometers don’t require any extra hygiene maintenance factors as they don’t need contact for readings.
- Multi-purpose: It may sound funny, but some non-contact thermometers can record the temperature of bathwater and formula milk as well.
After reading so much about non-contact thermometers, with careful analysis and reviewing, here is a list of the top three best non-contact thermometers available in India.
Dr. Trust (USA) Forehead Infrared Non-Contact Thermometer
Dr. Trust is an American brand that is globally renowned for making health monitoring devices. This thermometer is currently one of the best non-contact thermometer available in the market. The thermometer only takes around 3 seconds to show the correct result. It must be held 2 inches away from the head for accurate measurement. The best part of this thermometer is storing 32 previous results in its memory, thus making it easier for the fever pattern.It has an LCD backlight display with two color-codes where red indicated fever and green shows average temperature. You also get the option to switch between temperature units like Fahrenheit and Celsius. The thermometer also features two modes for temperature measurements, i.e., object and person mode. The object mode is for measuring bathwater, baby’s milk bottles, room temperatures, etc. It also has a sliding switch to toggle to switch between the two modes. It comes with a buzzer that rings in case of high fever detection. The device can automatically shut itself if it is left idle, which saves battery consumption. It also requires two AAA batteries, which you may need to buy separately.Now coming to the warranty, this American brand provides six months warranty but with all the applied terms and conditions. All you need to do is register on their official website within 15 days of the purchase and warranty. It would be best if you remember that the warranty covers manufacturing defects only.
Dr. Odin Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer :
Dr. Odin is one of the biggest Indian distributors and manufacturers of health care products, which includes pills, health monitoring kits, face masks, supplements, etc. This infrared thermometer is a bit expensive compared to Dr. Trust, but it shows slightly better features. It takes just one second to estimate the temperature. This non-invasive thermometer can tell the temperature from 0-3 cm away. It can also store up to 40 previously taken temperatures, helping the patient who is suffering from persistent fever.When you talk about the display, it comes with an LED backlight display with 4-colour to indicate body temperature. The best part is, it comes with a larger display with larger and clear fonts. You can even use it to assess the food temperature, room temperature, object temperature, etc.With this thermometer, you can also switch between Fahrenheit and Celsius. The body is latex-free and BPA that makes it safe to use around the kids. The device requires AAA batteries, which must be two and is included in the packaging. It also comes with a one year warranty that only covers manufacturing defects.
Smile Mom Digital Infrared Forehead Thermometer
There are relatively few people who know about this product. Even though it is a small brand, it includes almost every feature for an excellent non-contact thermometer. If you are looking for a good thermometer and have a limited budget, this is the go-to option.It takes just 0.5 sec for this thermometer to show the result as it has an incredible speed. It can even tell the reading from 5-10 cm away, making it an utterly non-contact thermometer and safe to use even for contagious diseases like COVID-19. You can also save readings up to 32 on the device that can be a lot helpful for you to diagnose the disease.It comes in with LCD features in 3 color backlight display where red indicates high fever; orange is for mild fever, and green denotes average temperature. The two modes of object and body also come in handy. In case of high fever, it alarms with a beeping sound. There are options to make the changes between temperature, i.e., Celsius and Fahrenheit. It also has an automatic shut-off feature that turns the device off if left idle for 20 seconds.It has a sleek gun like body with buttons and a big LCD, which is user-friendly. Anyone can operate this thermometer very quickly, even without looking at the manual. The only downside of this thermometer is that it doesn’t have any warranty or customer service facility.