Because your baby is sitting, smiling, and moving more, the teethers and rattles your baby used to play with will not amuse them anymore. Between the ages of 6 and 12, babies start to explore and interact with people around their surroundings. They begin to walk and crawl across the living room. The teeth begin to emerge, so you’ll need safe and durable toys for them to chew and mouth. At this age, you also start to get a little window into their thoughts as you watch your baby touching and activating buttons, placing the blocks back in the container, and turning the pages of the cardboard book.
Babies of age 6 to 12 months start to crawl in their belly or on knees and hands. They try to start pulling themselves up to standing on the couch. Some tots even begin to stand and take a few steps on their own before their first birthday. Also, there are many popular, safe, and fun types of toys at this age level.
Types of toys
Following is the list of the types of toys which are best for babies of 6 to 12 months. You select the toy as per the kid’s need and requirement.
- Fine motor skills toys: Babies like to take toys apart and then put them back together. They also enjoy ‘fill and dump’ by putting toys in and out of the containers repeatedly. You can look for the stacking and nesting cups and soft toys that detach and attach with Velcro. These essential toys also help babies to develop skills like fine motor control and problem-solving while they practice again.
- Cause and effect & Pop-up toys: Babies between the age of 6 to 12 months love toys that play with sounds and lights with the touch of a button. You can look for busy boxes, ball poppers, and other classic toys that children push, and the door open magically to reveal the character inside.
- Musical instruments: Babies love to bang the toys, so you must let them do it. You can give them shakers, light-up pianos, and maracas. Just by touching these toys or shaking, they will experience success by making the sound.
- Transformable activity gym: Infant Activity gyms or play mats are usually not utilized when they begin to sit or crawl independently. Some activity gyms come with sides that can be transformed into great tunnels for interactive play stations for the babies who can crawl and sit.
- Blocks: Blocks have turned out to be great for children of age 6 to 12 months. They are still in the age of learning how to stack and make them fall over and doing it again. You can consider soft or rubber blocks as they do not come with sharp edges and safer alternatives.
- Walking toys: Babes at ten months generally pull themselves up to a standing position at the couch or coffee table. There are also many options for sturdy walking toys that include strollers and shopping carts.
- Wagons: When you want to take a walk in the park or join in for a family picnic, then wagons are a great alternative to a stroller as it includes cup holders for drink and snacks. It also has a seatbelt for safety concerns.
- Portable toys: Portable toys are best for babies of this age range because they love to place things in their mouths, so you need something they find comfortable playing with. Portable toys can also easily fit in the diaper bag and are a must to take for your baby’s entertainment. Portable toys include nesting and stacking cups, ring stackers, shape sorters, and many more.
- Puzzles: Wooden puzzles are available are great toys for kids. Look for the puzzles that have large handles.
- Board books: Cloth books or heavy-duty board books are a perfect choice for this age. There is a possibility that books with paper pages may end up getting ruin because small babies like to put books in their mouths, so the thicker the pages are, and easier it is for them to learn how to turn.
- Interactive plush toys: Babies often imitate what they see during the day, and they love this. Stuffed animals and soft-bodied dolls are made entirely with nice and soft textures for younger children as they feed and hug them. Children end up latching onto these stuffed animals and enjoy dragging them around and sleeping with them. Many stuffed animals also come like interactive plush toys that help your child to get engaged and teach them dancing, learning, and singing when they touch their foot or hand.
- Bath toys: If the babies can sit up in the tub, you can look for the floating foam boats, water squirters, and toys. Toys for the bath will make the bath area a playful one.
- Hand Puppets: Children love to watch their parents engage in activities and songs while wearing hand puppets.
- Balls: The ball is one of the most captivating and motivating toys for babies to learn how to walk and crawl. Babies also love to roll back and forth as they begin to play simple games. They often love attempting and crawling to walk across the floor to find and bring back the ball.
- Decision Time: If you are at some loss about what to buy, and are overwhelmed with the many choices, consider buying a creative subscription service. Many toy producers deliver educational activities or toys for children under the age of 24 months. Your child will develop appropriate skills with the help of these toys.
Things To Consider
Here are things you must consider when you buy the best toys or babies of 6 to 12 months. It would be best if you consider these factors:
- Safety: Children of six months old can usually roll from side to side, and many of them can roll pretty quickly. You must make sure to keep the surrounding areas and spaces clear for any potential hazards, and it is also important that you do not leave them unattended on high surface areas like a changing table or bed.
- Developing language skills: Babies may even start to babble by this age. You can help the little ones to build their vocabulary and pronunciation skills by pointing to the images on a toy or book and speaking the words clearly and loudly.
- Reciprocal play: You can start to take turns and follow your baby’s lead. Suppose it is a babble conversation where the baby takes a pause, and you encourage them to continue by saying something.
Tiny Love Take Along Mobile
Tiny Love presents you with a unique and colorfully designed engaging mobile. Mobile is colorful and fun that can travel everywhere you and your baby go. It features fun colors and five soothing melodies to keep your baby entertained and relaxed. It keeps your baby engaged with a simple snap to most car seats and strollers. These toys’ versatile designs mean that you can keep your baby soothed and entertained with the mobile as you move throughout the day.
Fisher-Price Original Newborn to Toddler Baby Play Gym
The babies are fond of play gyms, and they are fun because it is colorful and a lot more engaging. The toy also helps them reach and grasp skills, gross motor development, and sensory stimulation. It is even better to buy play gyms that can be used beyond the infant stage. It is a convertible activity play gym with sounds, lights, and music with over 12 activities and toys to discover.
Chicco Easy Grasp Keys
These three shaped pendants in key shapes are in reasonable detail and help to relieve your child’s mood. It also comes in catching colors that keep your child engages and stimulate their manual co-ordination. If your baby starts teething, then you can buy one of two teethers, but you must ensure that the rattles are lightweight because babies of this age wouldn’t have much control over their hand movements and may end up hitting themselves.